THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF JOHN SHEPARD KEYES, TRANSCRIBED
We have normalized all instances of the following:
- Lower case capitalized letters in the middle of words and sentences as needed.
- Upper case all words at beginning of sentences.
- All flourishes to long <em> dashes.
- Capitalization of proper nouns.
- Construe periods and commas to make the most sense.
- Periods used with superscripted abbreviation follow the superscripted letter (ex: “Genl.”)
- Occasionally JSK’s “g” at the end of a word flourish up and look like a “d.” These have been corrected to reflect correct spelling.
- Instances of “n” are correct to “m” when misformed (“thene” à “theme”).
Specific word normalizations
- Court House
- Criminal Court
- Court Committee
- Town House
- Post Office
- Mother unless “the mother”
- Father unless “the father”
- Supreme Court
- Delegation (when preceded by “the” or a specific name ex: Massachusetts Delegation)
- when preceded by “the” or preceding a person’s name
- Adjutant General
- District Attorney
- Cattle Show (when it’s “the Cattle Show” or a given year or month)
- Square (Lexington Square)
- Street (Baker Street)
- Avenue (5th Avenue)
- Ocean (Pacific Ocean)
- Run (Bull Run)
- River (Susquehanna River)
- White House (the one in Washington)
- Know Nothing
- Wide Awakes
- Free Soiler
- Cabinet (government type)
- Senate Chamber
- Capital (Washington) if “the Capital” otherwise lc
- Capitol (the building) if “the Capitol” otherwise lc
- railroad/rail road
- company (soldiers)
- monument (monument to the revolution)
- “terms” of court (June term, March term, civil and criminal term . . . )
- shrievalty, marshalship, etc.
- cattle show (when plural)
Back to Main Page
c2010 Concord Free Public Library, Concord, Mass.
Not to be reproduced in any form without permission of the Curator of Special Collections, Concord Free Public Library.
Back to Special Collections homepage
Mounted 10 November 2010.rcwh.