H. WHITTEMORE BROWN COLLECTION OF PANORAMIC PHOTOGRAPHS OF CONCORD, MASS., 1955-1958
View of intersection of Walden and Main Streets looking east to Monument Square, June 1956.
Vault, B5, Unit 21
EXTENT: 12 photographs (each measuring 3 1/16” x 11 5/8”)
ORGANIZATION AND ARRANGEMENT: Organized in a single sequence; arranged chronologically.
BIOGRAPHY: H. Whittemore Brown (1893-1980); b. Concord, Mass.; d. Decatur, Georgia) was a long-time Concord resident. A 1911 graduate of Concord High School and 1915 graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, he was commissioned a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Army during World War I. Brown was a builder and general contractor in the Concord area and served his community in multiple capacities. He served as Acting Town Manager, on the Board of Appeals, and three terms as a member of the Board of Selectmen. In 1936, Brown chaired the committee for the town’s 300th anniversary celebration. He was an honorary member of the Concord Rotary Club, which recognized him as their Man of the Year in 1961. For thirty-nine years, he served as a director of the Concord Cooperative Bank. He served on the Board of Trustees of the American Unitarian Association and was appointed a trustee emeritus of Marlboro College in Marlboro, Vermont. For these and other contributions to Concord, Brown was named Concord’s Honored Citizen in 1967. Brown married Marjorie Wray. The couple had two daughters, Patricia and Shirley, and a son, Christopher.
SCOPE AND CONTENT: Collection contains 12 black and white wide-angle panoramic images of Concord, dating from September 1955 to November 1958.
SOURCE OF ACQUISITION: Gift of Christopher Brown, August 26, 2009.
NOTES AND COMMENTS: Accessioned September 3, 2009; AMC 176.
PROCESSED BY: Melissa Saalfield, finding aid completed 12/09.
1. View looking to SW and intersection of Main Street and Old Road to Nine Acre Corner (includes images of homes located at intersection), September 1955 (see #5).
2. View to NE at intersection of Seven Star Lane and Sudbury Road (at edge of Conantum neighborhood), April 1956.
3. View (vertical) of First Parish Church looking NW from Lexington Road, April 1956.
4. View (horizontal) of First Parish Church prior to construction of Annex on building’s south side, April 1956.
5. View looking to SW and intersection of Main Street and Old Road to Nine Acre Corner (newly constructed medical center building now stands at intersection replacing previously existing homes), June 1956. (see #1).
6. View of Main Street looking west from Lexington Road, June 1956.
7. View of Monument Square and Main Street looking north, June 1956.
8. View of intersection of Walden and Main Streets looking east to Monument Square, June 1956.
9. View of Monument Square looking east from the Mill Dam, December 1956.
10. View of Monument Square looking southwest from Town Hall, November 1958.
11. View of B&M railroad looking west to Concord Depot from Sudbury Road, November 1958.
12. View of intersection of Sudbury Road and Thoreau Street looking southwest toward B&M railroad station , November 1958.
c2009 Concord Free Public Library, Concord, Mass.
Not to be reproduced in any form without permission of the Curator of Special Collections, Concord Free Public Library.
Mounted 11th December 2009. rcwh.