16. The Middlesex Hotel on the 1852 Walling Map
The inset to the 1852 Walling map of Concord shows the footprint of Thomas Wesson's new Middlesex Hotel building, and the relationship between it and the hotel stable on the Mill Dam. The Lowell Road house (now 41 Lowell) of Nathan S. Hosmer, one of the contractors who rebuilt the hotel in 1845, is visible in the upper central section of this detail. Between the printing of the Hales map in 1830 and that of Walling's, William Shepherd's Main Street hotel property (now 122 and 128 Main) had come into the possession of Colonel Joseph Holbrook, who ran the Coffee House shown on the later map.