23. Millstones Discovered, 1933
A newspaper article written by A.C.K. Hallock in the spring of 1933 brought to light the discovery of two large pieces of a millstone embedded in the basement walls of Anderson's Market. The stones were found as the walls were being cleaned and whitewashed. John M. Keyes had previously found a millstone fragment in the same general area of Concord center and had it placed in the wall in front of his house on Monument Street. Since the pieces were found in the vicinity of the site of the original mill dam, they were believed to have come from the mill owned by Peter Bulkeley and dating from the town's earliest colonial period. Carved from rock that is not indigenous to New England, the stone was thought to have been brought from England, doing double duty as ballast aboard ship.