Summer Reading Program for Kids 2022
This summer Read Beyond the Beaten Path! Explore new lands and creatures all over the world with books, outdoorsy programs, music, and more at the CFPL.
Why should you participate?
- Get a free necklace and brag tag when you sign up, and then earn beads for the necklace by reading and completing weekly challenges!
- Bingo boards that win prizes!
- Rubber duckies for our littlest patrons!
- Weekly scavenger hunts around Concord for Henry and Weezie, our library owl mascots!
Learn More About the 2022 Summer Reading Program!
WHO: Children of all ages can join!
WHAT: Sign up for the program at the Children's Library or Fowler Branch Library to start reading and begin collecting prizes!
WHEN: Monday, June 6 - Friday, August 12
WHERE: Most Summer Reading activities and programs will take place at the Children's Library at the Main Library Branch. Visit our event calendar or our Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram pages for more information on upcoming programs!
WHY: Spend the summer reading, learning, and growing.
A BIG thank you to the Friends of the Concord Free Public Library for their support of the Summer Reading Program! We also thank the Massachusetts Library System, the Boston Bruins, and the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners for their funding of the Massachusetts Statewide Summer Library Program.
Click on your grade below to begin browsing this summer's recommended reading titles! Recommended titles are linked directly to our library catalog, or you can print a brochure with the recommended titles.
Recommended Summer Reading Booklists
- Rubber Ducky Club
Kindergarten - Grade 2
- Change Sings (Kindergarten)
- We All Play (Kindergarten)
- Nina: A Story of Nina Simone (Kindergarten)
- Rooster's Off to See the World (Kindergarten)
- My Kite Is Stuck! and Other Stories (Kindergarten)
- Grandad's Camper (Kindergarten)
- Earth Hour (Kindergarten)
- Jabari Jumps (Kindergarten)
- A Cool Drink of Water (Kindergarten)
- Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type (Kindergarten)
- Snail & Worm (Grade 1)
- The First Blade of Sweetgrass (Grade 1)
- Dinosaur Club: The T-Rex Attack (Grade 1)
- Powwow Day (Grade 1)
- Paletero Man (Grade 1)
- Born on the Water (Grade 1)
- Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Friendship (Grade 1)
- Kamala and Maya's Big Idea (Grade 1)
- Fox at Night (Grade 1)
- Over and Under the Rainforest (Grade 1)
- Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea (Grade 2)
- Cork & Fuzz (Grade 2)
- Spring After Spring (Grade 2)
- The Secret Explorers and the Moon Mission (Grade 2)
- InvestiGATORS (Grade 2)
- Fatima's Great Outdoors (Grade 2)
- Sakamoto's Swim Club (Grade 2)
- Cubs In the Tub (Grade 2)
- Watercress (Grade 2)
- How to Build a Hug (Grade 2)
Grade 3 - Grade 5
- Super Summer (Grade 3)
- The Bluest of the Blues (Grade 3)
- Alvin Ho: Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Grade 3)
- One Plastic Bag (Grade 3)
- Little Dog, Lost (Grade 3)
- Rachel Carson and Her Book That Changed the World (Grade 3)
- Manfish (Grade 3)
- Butterfly Eyes and Other Secrets of the Meadow (Grade 3)
- Frida Kahlo and Her Animalitos (Grade 3)
- Big Foot and Little Foot (Grade 3)
- Who Was the Greatest?: Muhammad Ali (Grade 4)
- To Night Owl from Dogfish (Grade 4)
- The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind (Grade 4)
- Be Prepared (Grade 4)
- The Vast Wonder of the World (Grade 4)
- Dog Man (Grade 4)
- Living Color (Grade 4)
- Dark Emperor & Other Poems of the Night (Grade 4)
- The Wild Robot (Grade 4)
- The End of the Wild (Grade 4)
- Starfish (Grade 5)
- Hello Universe (Grade 5)
- Camp (Grade 5)
- Song for a Whale (Grade 5)
- She Dared: Bethany Hamilton (Grade 5)
- Scouts (Grade 5)
- Wildheart: The Daring Adventures of John Muir (Grade 5)
- Gone to the Woods (Grade 5)
- Smile (Grade 5)
- Flora & Ulysses (Grade 5)
Grade 6 - Grade 8
- Fast Pitch (Big 6 Title)
- Red, White, and Whole (Big 6 Title)
- Out of My Heart (Big 6 Title)
- Amari and the Night Brothers (Big 6 Title)
- The Last Cuentista (Big 6 Title)
- Children of Blood and Bone (Big 6 Title)
- The House in the Cerulean Sea (Big 6 Title)
- El Deafo (Staff Pick)
- The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (Staff Pick)
- Shuri: A Black Panther Novel (Staff Pick)
- Stargazing (Staff Pick)
- Wires and Nerve (Staff Pick)
- The Witch Boy (Staff Pick)
- Hereville: How Mirka Got Her Sword (Staff Pick)
- New Kid (Staff Pick)